North Van Historic Timeline

 

1791

Point Atkinson is sighted by Spanish explorer Jose Maria Narvaez.

1792

Captain George Vancouver enters Burrard Inlet; he was joined on this expedition by two Spanish ships, captained by Dionisio Galliano and Cayetano Valdez. The Spaniards were the first to explore Indian Arm, naming it the "Canal de Sasamat".

1859

Howe Sound is surveyed by Captain Richards in the H.M.S. Plumper.

1860

The first Catholic mass is celebrated on the Burrard Inlet at the Indian settlement of Ustlawn, on the North Shore.

1862

T. W. Graham and George Scrimgeour secure a pre-emption of 150 acres, the first on the North Shore of the Burrard Inlet.

1863

The Pioneer Mills, the first industrial lumber plant on the Burrard Inlet, opens in June; this event initiates an influx of residents to the North Shore. John Oscar Smith buys the Mill in a public auction, and renames it the Burrard Inlet Mills.

1865

Sewell Prescott Moody purchases the Burrard Inlet Mills. Moodyville becomes established as the most progressive settlement on the Burrard Inlet. Religious services are conducted by the Reverend Ebenezer Robson at Moodyville.

1866

"Navvy Jack" Thomas begins an unscheduled ferry service across the Burrard Inlet. A log Catholic chapel is raised at Ustlawn.

1868

The "Sea Foam" begins regular ferry service between Brighton and Moodyville. A second mill is constructed at Moodyville.

1874

The Moodyville Post Office is established.

1882

Electricity is installed at Moodyville.

1884

St. Paul's Church is built at Ustlawn.

1886

The City of Vancouver is completely destroyed by fire.

1890

The Burrard Inlet Bridge & Tunnel Company is formed, with the intention of providing direct access to the south shore of the inlet.

1891

The District of North Vancouver is incorporated as a municipality. The North Vancouver Land & Improvement Company is established, with the principal shareholder being J. Mahon, of England; Mahon sends his brother Edward to North Vancouver to be the first president of the company.

1894

A Municipal ferry dock is built at Moodyville.

1895

The Spicer Shingle Company begins to take logs and shingle bolts out of Lynn Valley; two years later it is sold to the Hastings Shingle & Manufacturing Company, operated by the McNair Brothers and J. M. Fromme.

1900

St. John the Evangelist Church, on West 13th Street, is dedicated.

1901

The Moodyville Sawmill closes.

1902

Peter Larson builds the Hotel North Vancouver on West Esplanade. The Post Office is tranferred from Moodyville to North Vancouver.

1903

The North Vancouver Ferry & Power Co., under A. St. George Hammersley, is formed to provide adequate ferry service. A Municipal Hall, designed by architect C. O. Wickenden is built at the corner of 1st Street and Lonsdale Avenue. Land speculation begins to assume boom proportions.

1905

The Express, the first local newspaper, commences printing. Arrangements are made with the B.C. Electric Railway Company to construct a street railway system. Alfred Wallace begins planning a shipyard and marine railway on his property on West Esplanade. The Wallace Shipyards later becomes affiliated with the Burrard Dry Dock Company.

1906

The North Vancouver Land & Improvement Company begins clearing land for the construction of the Grand Boulevard; when the work is complete, the central boulevard is conveyed to the Municipality as park land. Building restrictions on the lots surrounding the Boulevard are intended to guarantee a high class residential development. The Boulevard is laid out as a fire break, following the lessons of the disastrous fires caused by the San Francisco earthquake. Telephone service begins, provided by the B.C. Telephone Company. The B.C. Electric Railway Company opens a tram service on Queensbury Avenue.

1907

The City of North Vancouver is incorporated on May 13th with approximately 2,000 residents.

1908

The first North Vancouver hospital opens. The B.C. Electric Railway Company begins work on the extensions to the Lonsdale Avenue streetcar line to 23rd Street.

1909

St. Paul's Church is enlarged, and a second spire is added. The Twin City Transportation Company takes over the existing Motor Boat Transportation Company to provide ferry service between Vancouver and North Vancouver. The Diplock Wright Lumber Company is renamed the Seymour Lumber Company, and moves the next year to 19th Street.

1910

St. George's Hospital, behind the Catholic church on West 6th Street, opens. The Lynn Valley streetcar line opens.

1911

The Wallace Shipyards are destroyed by fire on July 11th. At least one dozen lumber and shingle companies are operating in the City and District of North Vancouver.

1912

A postal substation is opened at 15th Street and Lonsdale Avenue.

1913

General financial depression leads to a halt in the building boom.

1914

The Pacific Great Eastern Train Company operates its first service between North and West Vancouver. The North Vancouver City Market opens at 120 Esplanade Avenue East. The First World War begins; this initiates much shipbuilding activity on the waterfront.

1915

Moodyville is incorporated into the City of North Vancouver.

1916

The abandoned Moodyville sawmill is destroyed by fire.

1917

Car ferry service across Burrard Inlet from Vancouver is implemented and helps to shape the City.

1918

The First World War ends. The outbreak of an influenza epidemic causes the closing of all schools and public places.

1922

Motorists in British Columbia officially revert to driving on the right hand side of the road.

1925

The Second Narrows Bridge opens to traffic after two years of construction. The Hastings Mills Company, formerly of Vancouver, locates on the City's Moodyville waterfront. Wallace Shipyard changed its name to Burrard Dry Dock.

1926

Chick Chamberlain opens the first Tomahawk Barbecue on the north side of Marine Drive, at Mackay Road.

1927

Work commences on foreshore development and the railway subway.

1929

General financial depression is caused in part by the American stock market crash. The Vancouver Harbour Commissioners Railway Subway is officially opened. The old Hotel North Vancouver is destroyed by fire.

1930

A major shipping accident puts the Second Narrows Bridge out of operation for four years; the City is bankrupted and George Washington Vance assumes the position of Commissioner.

1933

The City of North Vancouver goes into receivership.

1938

The Lions Gate Bridge is opened to traffic.

1939

The Second World War begins. Burrard Dry Dock builds 99 "Victory" ships during World War II, employing 10,000 by the cessation of hostilities.

1944

The City of North Vancouver comes out of receivership; elections are held in December for the newly re-established council.

1945

The Second World War ends.

1947

Local streetcar service is discontinued.

1958

Local ferry service is discontinued.

1958

The Second Narrows Bridge opens. Recently renamed the "Iron Workers Memorial Bridge" for the 27 workers who died during construction.

1959

Work begins on Lions Gate Hospital, the only public hospital on the North Shore.

1970

The City of North Vancouver signs Sister City Agreement with Chiba City, Japan.

1977

SeaBus passenger ferry service between the North Shore and Vancouver is opened.

1986

Lonsdale Quay market and hotel open.

1992

After 86 years in business, the Shipyards close.

2001

New development opportunities are seized which sparks a revitalization of Lower Lonsdale. A new neighbourhood emerges.

Today

A thriving community, rich in cultural diversity, the City enjoys a robust economy and is renowned for its quality of life and recreational opportunities.

Back to top

 

 

John's Blog

Sales to New Listings Ratio - Greater Vancouver

November 23rd, 2014
The sales to new listings ratio for detached homes in Greater Vancouver on November 23, 2014 was 58%. This repre...Click here to read more detail about 'Sales to New Listings Ratio - Greater Vancouver'